Technical Manager – 884095 – to £45000
To ensure the safety, quality & legality of all products supplied by Tillery Valley, through the consistent delivery and continual improvement of site standards, whilst working to reduce waste, minimise environmental impact and drive a zero harm health & safety culture.
|§ Maintain food safety & hygiene standards to meet requirements of all applicable food safety and hygiene legislation, including but not limited to: Food Safety Act 1990, Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006, The General Food Regulations 2004, General Food Law Regulation (EC) 178/2002, EC Regulation 852/2004, Food Information (Wales) Regulations 2016
§ Comply with external certification standards: BRC Global Standard for Food Safety, ISO9001 Quality Management Standard, ISO14001 Environmental, ISO45001 Occupational Health & Safety Standard
- Meet requirements of all relevant Health & Safety and Environmental Legislation, including, but not limited to Health & Safety at Work Act 1974,The Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulation 1999,COSHH Regulations 2002, Environmental Protection Act 1990, Waste (England & Wales) Regulations 2011,Hazardous Waste (Wales) Regulations 2005
- To monitor and drive compliance across the site with all aspects of food safety, quality & legality
- To lead and manage the technical, QA and hygiene teams; driving performance to ensure the highest quality service is delivered to the business
- To manage all aspects of the quality management system, HACCP/TACCP and GMP auditing
- Manage all aspects of third party certification standards and associated internal management standards e.g. BRC & ISO
- Act as first point of contact for external agencies such as EHO, TSO, certification bodies
- To drive continuous improvement in technical and customer KPI’s – including customer complaints, microbiological performance, adherence to specification.
- To closely manage the technical, QA and hygiene labour and overhead budgets and investigate cost saving opportunities
- To support all external audits, duty of care inspections and customer visits
- Act as a first level decision–maker for product and process non-conformances ensuring senior management are informed of key issues in a timely manner.
- Immediately escalate any issue to the senior leadership team that has the potential to impact upon food safety, quality, legality or authenticity.
- Conduct thorough and timely investigations for all incidents of non-conformance – product, process or staff.
- Provide weekly / monthly KPI and other reports as required for senior management review
- Conduct regular 1:1’s, performance reviews and establish development plans for all technical staff
- Oversee and manage the customer complaint process
- Establish and develop strong relationships with suppliers to deliver consistent vendor assurance; conduct compliance audits to monitor performance
- Further develop the TACCP and raw material vulnerability assessment program in order to further strengthen supply chain integrity
- Ensure all quality and microbiological analysis is conducted in accordance with testing schedules and all results are reviewed against specification and responded to in an appropriate manner.
- Attend training courses and drive personal development to ensure that you stay informed and ahead of developments that could impact food safety, quality, and legality.
- To manage the waste budget and oversee the waste management practices on site – segregation, storage and removal of all waste
- To manage the external waste contractors and ensure they operate in a legally compliant and safe manner at all times including retaining copies of all appropriate waste licenses and Duty of Care documentation.
- To manage the pest control arrangements for the site and report on any incidents
- Oversee COSHH assessments, risk assessments and documented safe systems of work for all technical & hygiene tasks
- Ensure all technical staff are trained and competent in all procedures relevant to their role
- Maintain authorised persons lists for each piece of equipment as required
|§ Ensure all tasks are conducted in accordance with all legislative and company health & safety policies and ensure that all hazards, accidents / incidents are reported and investigated in a timely manner
§ To be an active member of the site Health & Safety Committee
§ To delegate for direct reports as required in their absence
§ To be an active and collaborative member of the site senior management team; working as a stakeholder on projects and playing an active role in strategic decision making.
§ Develop effective working relationships at all levels of the organisation
§ Support in the development of technical and environmental strategies.
§ To be a member of the site Business Continuity Management Team and participate in all BCP exercises
§ To comply with and enforce all relevant statutory, company and site policies and procedures
§ To recruit, induct, coach and develop competent employees through regular performance reviews, training and development plans.
§ Ensure all disciplinary incidents and staff absence are dealt with in a professional and timely manner and in accordance with the company human resources policies.
§ To effectively and regularly communicate with all team members and provide opportunities for feedback
§ To lead / participate in projects as requested in order to drive continuous improvement
§ To provide key performance indicator data as required and comply with all internal and external audit requirements
|§ Educated to degree level in a food or science-related discipline
§ A competent professional with a minimum of 3 years’ experience of managing and leading a technical team within a high risk food manufacturing environment.
§ Working knowledge of BRC and ISO standards (also any retail standard would be preferable)
§ Qualified to HACCP Level 4, Food hygiene level 4 and internal auditor trained.
§ A strong leader with proven experience of driving improvements in site standards
§ Experience of budget management and reporting
§ Experience of managing waste segregation and recycling services (preferable)
§ Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage and motivate staff at all levels
§ Flexible approach to working
§ Experience of conducting training on a 1:1 basis or to small groups.
Our Referral Incentive:
Due to the high amount of interest that we receive for each of our roles unfortunately we cannot respond to each application individually, therefore if you do not hear back from us you have not been shortlisted for this role. Please continue to check our website for any other roles which may be of interest.
We offer a £500 referral if you introduce someone we place
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.