Lab Technician – 884092 – £17500-£19000
- To prepare microbiological media for use in the laboratory.
- To remove finished sample(s), and other waste materials. Wash decontaminated glassware.
- To maintain the laboratory in a clean and tidy state. To clean surfaces and equipment, particularly if subject to scheduled cleaning intervals.
- To operate laboratory equipment, and monitor its performance where required.
- To perform microbiological (and other) tests against customers specifications. This encompasses the whole analytical process, including :
- Entering sample details into the laboratory LIMS systems.
- Assessing prepared media requirements for the analysis and assembling and labelling this media.
- Weighing out and preparing the primary dilution for any sample.
- Combining the test sample and test media as appropriate.
- Ensuring that the correct incubation conditions are applied.
- Assessing results, counting colonies and entering results into the LIMS system.
- Relaying results to customers via established methods (Email, phone and/or fax.
- Checking data on completed worksheets prior to release from the laboratory for approval.
- To highlight out-of-specification results to the customer via established methods as soon as is practicable.
- To monitor and inform management of low stock levels of materials and reagents etc.
- To ensure the safe and hygienic removal of microbiological and other waste from the laboratory by external contractor if required..
- To operate all quality systems such that they are maintained and up-to-date.
- To be familiar with, and implement in practice, the contents of the: AA Quality Manual
- AA Training Manual
- AA Standard Operating Procedures Manual
- AA Methods Manual
- ISO 17025 and other ISO standards appropriate to the operation and control of the laboratory
- M&S Methods Manual
- ISO Methods Manual
- Technical reference documents
- To be aware of the requirements of ISO 17025 and UKAS and ensure that these are maintained in practice.
- To undertake method development and validation work as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor.
- To highlight any mistakes/anomalies/omissions or differences from actual practices found in laboratory manuals or documentation.
- To maintain the confidence and confidentiality of our customers at all times.
- o understand and implement the requirements of our customers both specifically and generally to enable us to provide the best service possible.
- To work such hours as are required to successfully and effectively fulfil the requirement of the position.
The laboratory technician will preferably have a minimum HND qualification in a science subject, but this is not a mandatory requirement. Previous experience is not required, as a comprehensive training programme is mandatory for all recruits
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.