Environmental Health & Safety Manager – Competitive Package – 883915
Reporting to the Head of Site with responsibility for Health and Safety activities and Site Amenities. The role includes managing information required for both internal and external reporting requirements, liaison on compliance matters and monitoring the company performance in relation to key performance indicators for both Health and Safety and Site Amenities.
This is a multi site position so will require travel between sites.
- Ensuring Environmental and Health & Safety targets are met within deadlines, without compromising quality or control of costs.
- Ensuring good housekeeping is maintained.
- Ensuring that Quality, Health & Safety and other company policies are adhered to and liaising with relevant departments to ensure issues are resolved
- Maintaining good employee relations and promoting equality of opportunity.
Specific Environmental Duties
- Liaising with external agencies regarding environmental issues as required, for example Welsh Water, Environmental Agency.
- Reporting on environmental projects and environmental performance to Management.
- Communication of Environmental Legislation and requirements to site management where necessary.
- Manage the implementation and maintenance of environmental initiatives and projects at sites.
- Auditing and report writing.
- Attendance and liaison with the local authorities and regulatory body where necessary.
- Ensuring the monitoring data is collected regularly and updated in the relevant spreadsheets: e.g. waste data, utility meter readings.
- Maintaining contractor briefing record.
- Organising and undertaking water and effluent sampling as required.
- Ensuring maintenance and review of waste service level agreements and duty of care documentation.
- Ensuring waste material are removed from sites following the correct procedures, for example cardboard, plastic.
Specific Health and Safety Duties:
- Conducting site safety meetings on a regular basis and recording actions on SMS
- Provide health and safety information on compliance/breaches to Factory Manager for use in the monthly health and safety meetings to assist site improvements and eliminate risks.
- Audit and monitor sites first aid control systems, train any new site first aiders on group policy.
- Monitor RSA reports received by Maintenance Manager and ensure sites are compliant. Review progress on a monthly basis with the Maintenance Manager.
- Communicate group policy at site level and ensure sites are compliant.
- Work as part of the Group Safety Team, attending Group quarterly meetings.
- Work with site emergency response team and ensure site controls are adequate.
- Ensuring all accidents are investigated by the relevant managers
- Ensuring all Employer’s Liability report forms are completed and kept up to date
- Maintaining the SMS, with assistance of site management team
- Assisting site management team to have risk assessments in place and completed on SMS system when approved and within the targets set.
- Ensuring SOP’s are up to date and available throughout the site and that systems of work documented are what happens in practice. Review SOP’s with Manager’s after any accidents, near misses or for process changes to ensure safe systems of work are in operation.
- Assisting site management with daily Health and Safety issues, monitoring completion and closing out of site safety audits
- Liaising with HSE, insurance, training and other statutory bodies on site related issues
- Ensuring all relevant information is updated on the Safety Management System
- Engaging with Factory Manager in preparation for HSE and Insurance visits
- Assisting Factory Manager in reducing accidents and developing safe systems of work
- Where appropriate, delivering employee training on safety related topics
Fire Officer Duties
- Acting as Chief Fire Officer, ensuring adequate numbers of Fire Wardens are appointed at all times
- Conducting weekly fire alarm checks
- Conducting periodic fire drills
- Ensuring all relevant fire training is conducted as required, for example Fire Extinguisher Use
General Health and Safety Duties
- Maintaining Health & Safety and hygiene standards in accordance with Company rules and regulations
This position is suitable for a self starter who is organized, proactive and has a proven track record of setting up systems in addition to reviewing, enhancing and maintaining existing systems.
A manufacturing background is ESSENTIAL
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.